Friday, July 27, 2018

Surprises

Once I started looking for them, I find little surprises from God every day.  My favorites are cardinals.  Besides being able to pick them out from their flashing red color, I can identify them from the way they zip like rockets when they fly, and when I can't see them I can hear their clicks and calls.  Some folks might scoff that their sightings are entirely random, but I receive them as little encouragers throughout the day.

This morning's birds were bigger - just as the sun was rising, I looked up and saw two parasails floating overhead. It was an excellent morning surprise!  These parasails had small motors to give them a boost when the updrafts and winds weren't enough to keep them aloft and going in the right direction.  I am never going to hang from one of those things, but if someone tied me to one involuntarily (what are the chances?) I think a motor that I could hear with my eyes closed (!) would be encouraging when I regained consciousness.



We don't get or give enough encouragement.  The apostles - who were relentlessly harried from pillar to post - appreciated Joseph of Cyprus' encouragement so much they nicknamed him Barnabas, "Son of Encouragement."  Luke wrote Acts to encourage Theophilus, and he recorded that several times the beleaguered Paul was rallied by a personal vision of Jesus or a word of direction from the help and comfort of the  Holy Spirit.  Paul passed that encouragement on to the impoverished church in Jerusalem by taking up a collection for them; he boosted the crew on his sinking ship with a pep talk and a meal; he encouraged young Timothy in his ministry; and he nurtured the new Believers in their faith.  

I've noticed at the beginning of our walks that the Breakfast Burritos are invigorated and step out faster when I sing with enthusiasm or recite some scripture with EMphasis and some arm waving for punctuation:  "...SURELY goodness and mercy will FOLLOW ME all the days of my life and I will dwell in your house FOREVER!" is guaranteed to get them moving. Encouragement is necessary to keep our four miles from taking two hours!  

But when we get to the top of the last hill, I don't have to sing and recite.  All I need to say is "Home," and they're off like a shot, knowing that they're headed for water, shade, air conditioning and a cat to torment in Burrito Heaven.  Just the thought of what's waiting for them is enough to get them trotting along.

We all need some encouragement and vision as we walk our dusty roads, and on the days when we need an extra lift, and when the wind is in our faces instead of pushing us along in the direction we need to go.  It really helps to have a motor sputtering along beside us, directing and encouraging us.  

For the flagging Christian, the encouragement we need comes from four places:  praise, Scripture, the assembly of Believers, and a vision of Heaven.  God inhabits our praises and lifts us up as we lift God up; God's written Word gives us the direction we need; the assembly of Believers gives us the encouragement of a community traveling on the same road; and a vision of Heaven is our incentive to focus on what awaits us when we finish well.  

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Words: Dallan Forgail (8th Century)


No comments:

Post a Comment